Electric cooperatives prioritize 可靠的 and affordable electricity with fuel diversity
(枫树林,明尼苏达州.) – Minnesotans are no strangers to below-freezing temperatures. As concerns about high heating bills and grid reliability in harsh weather mount, not-for-profit electric co-ops continue to support their consumer-owners with 可靠的 electric service and ways to save energy during times of increased use.
Reliability is especially important in severe storms and cold weather. The historic February winter storm that led to rolling blackouts in parts of the southern U.S. and Midwest demonstrated the essential role electricity plays in powering our lives. The ongoing global concerns about energy supply further reinforce the benefits to reliability and affordability that come from drawing on a diverse range of fuel sources to supply electricity.
Electric co-ops are increasingly integrating renewable energy resources and take seriously their obligation to provide safe, 可靠和实惠的电力服务. 基本负荷发电资源，比如煤炭, nuclear and natural gas are critical to ensuring reliability and bridging the gap between energy policy and available technologies. Renewable energy resources are just one component of electric cooperatives’ diverse energy portfolio. Fuel diversity provides co-ops flexibility in mitigating higher fuel costs and minimizing outages.
“A diverse energy portfolio helps co-ops save money by using the lowest cost energy source. 除了, co-ops offer a variety of energy efficiency programs that help cut costs and save energy,德里克·莫说, 首席执行官, 明尼苏达州农村电力协会. “Minnesota’s electric co-ops are dedicated to helping consumer-owners save energy and cut costs year-round.”
Electric cooperatives encourage consumers to take advantage of free or inexpensive options available to better manage energy use and make a meaningful impact on monthly bills.
- 进行能源审计. Identifying energy-efficient measures specific to your home can help save money on monthly utility bills. 更多信息请联系您的电力合作社.
- Make sure your fireplace is cleaned and your flue damper properly sealed. Keep the fireplace damper closed unless you have a fire burning. Replace an inefficient wood-burning fireplace with a more efficient wood stove or gas insert.
- 充分利用阳光. Open blinds on sunny winter days to warm your home and shut them at sundown to trap heat inside.
- 安装智能恒温器. Smart thermostats can automatically turn off or reduce heating and cooling when you’re asleep or not home.
- 使用智能电源板. Electricity consumed by electronics when they are not in use or on standby wastes energy.
- 密封家里泄漏的空气. Weatherizing your home is an easy way to reduce heating and cooling costs without upgrading your HVAC system. Use weatherstripping, caulk or plastic film on windows and small openings to keep out cold air.
- 更换炉内空气过滤器. 每个月更换一次空气过滤器. Maintaining proper airflow keeps your HVAC system from working overtime.
- 使用LED照明. LED lights are significantly more energy efficient than incandescent bulbs and fluorescents.
- 降低热水器温度. 一些制造商将热水器的温控器设置在华氏140度, but most households usually only require them to be set at 120°F. For each 10°F reduction in water temperature, you can save 3% to 5% in energy costs.
Energy conservation and demand response programs are valuable tools for saving on monthly bills through reduced electricity rates. Many electric cooperatives offer rebates on energy-efficient products like smart thermostats, 空气源热泵和电热水器, which help reduce both the cost of initial investments and monthly energy usage. Some co-ops even offer financing for energy-efficient home improvement projects.
由他们服务的成员拥有, 电力合作社致力于提供负担得起的产品, 可靠的, 安全和越来越清洁的电力. If you are a cooperative member having trouble paying your electric bill, contact your local electric co-op to discuss payment plans and receive information on other resources, 比如联邦资助的 能源援助计划 for income-qualified households to help with home heating costs and furnace repairs.
The 明尼苏达州农村电力协会 (篮球外围平台) is a nonprofit trade association serving Minnesota’s electric cooperatives. 篮球外围平台提供立法和监管代表, 主管和员工教育计划, technical training for electric cooperative line workers and serves as the focal point for cooperation among cooperatives. 明尼苏达州的44个分销合作社服务于1个.7 million Minnesotans in all 87 counties and operate the largest distribution network in the state with more than 135,000英里的电线.